Microsoft Teams is one of the world’s most popular team collaboration hubs. The platform itself is used for integrating content, people, and tools in order to help you engage better with your team and inspire engagement among other members.
Unfortunately, with so many chat apps around, it’s easy to accidentally contact someone on the wrong platform. Moreover, Microsoft Teams is such a renowned business chat application, you probably use it a lot. But what happens when you want to delete a chat? Is it even possible?
Can You Delete a Chat/Conversation on Microsoft Teams?
Unfortunately, there’s no way to delete an entire conversation that you had with someone on Microsoft Teams. Once you’ve started a conversation, it’s not going anywhere. You could contact Microsoft and ask them to delete a conversation, but there’s no guarantee that your request will be accepted.
What you can do is hide a chat so that it doesn’t appear or bother you. Still, anyone sitting at your computer will be able to grab ahold of it.
Why Delete It in the First Place?
Microsoft Teams is focused on business talk. It’s not a platform you’d use for conversations that are best kept secret. Although keeping secrets documented inside various chats isn’t recommended for anyone, there are many personal chat applications that allow you to delete a conversation.
But why would you want to delete a chat from Microsoft Teams? Perhaps you’ve sent something inappropriate to someone? Maybe you’ve accidentally asked your boss to go out clubbing? Well, don’t worry, you don’t even have to delete an entire conversation to fix this issue.
First of all, it’s essential that you’re quick, if you don’t want a party to see your message. So, let’s get down to business.
Deleting Messages on a PC
- To delete a sent message, go to the message in question and select More options (displayed as a three-dot icon).
- Then, just select Delete chat and confirm by clicking Yes, delete. This will make you leave the meeting or chat that you’re in.
- You can undo a message deletion by going to the said message and selecting Undo.
Deleting Messages on an Android Device
- Within the Chat tab, locate the chat you want to delete and then tap and hold down on it.
- Then, tap on Delete when it appears and confirm it by pressing OK. This will make you leave the meeting or chat.
Deleting Messages on an iPhone
- Within the Chat tab, swipe left on the chat you want to delete.
- Then, tap Delete and confirm your decision by pressing Yes. Again, this will make you leave the chat or meeting.
Preventing a Message from Being Sent
You may not have sent the message yet, but you might be afraid that you will if you touch anything.
- In this case, click Format and this will expand the message box.
- Then, select Delete.
You may have sent an official message to someone and, lo and behold, there’s that nasty typo that’s getting on your nerves. Whether you want to get rid of it because you’re embarrassed, or because it’s annoying you, you don’t have to remove the message and type it all over again. You can edit it so that the typo is fixed.
- To do so, find the message and go to More options.
- Then, select Edit. This will prompt you to edit the message. Once you’re done making changes, hit Enter, and that’s it. You can edit a message an unlimited number of times, for an unlimited amount of time, so don’t worry about it.
Careful When Typing and Sending
We live in the world of instant chat messaging. There are so many instant apps out there that it’s very easy to get confused and send the wrong message to the wrong person, inside the wrong app. This is why you need to take your time when working with business apps such as Microsoft Teams. Editing and message deletion are available features, but someone could see what you’ve sent before you manage to delete it.
Keep your Microsoft Teams app as separate from other apps as possible. And be careful when typing messages in this messaging app. Typos can be very annoying.
Deleting a Microsoft Teams Chat
Unfortunately, deleting an entire conversation in Microsoft Teams is impossible. What you can do is hide the chat in question, but this won’t do much security-wise, it will just rid you of clutter. You can also delete or edit sent messages, which is great for accidents and typos. But the best way to go is to use Microsoft Teams carefully.
Have you ever sent a wrong message to a wrong person? Did you manage to delete it on time? What’s your general experience with Microsoft Teams? Feel free to hit the comments section below with your experiences, advice, or questions.