One of LinkedIn’s newest features is the option to add your personal pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. Keep in mind that this feature still isn’t available in every country, but this might change in the near future. If it is available in your region, you’ll be able to add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile with a few quick steps. Once added, they will appear right next to your name on your LinkedIn profile.
In this article, we’ll show you how to add pronouns to your LinkedIn profile on your PC and mobile device. We’ll also show you how to choose who your pronouns will be visible to.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on a PC
To support gender-nonconforming people and the LGBTQ community, LinkedIn now lets you choose one of the following personal pronouns: “she/her,” “he/him,” “they/them,” and “custom.” In fact, aside from these three options, the most common pronouns on LinkedIn include “she/they,” “he/they,” “they/she,” “they/he,” and “any pronouns.”
This feature isn’t mandatory; you can still choose to have no pronouns on your LinkedIn profile. It’s simply intended for those who are non-binary and who don’t identify with any gender.
According to a LinkedIn survey, 70% of people looking for jobs on LinkedIn think that recruiters and hiring managers should know which gender pronouns to use when addressing someone. In addition, 72% of hiring managers also share this opinion.
You can add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile on the web app and the mobile app. To do this on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Go to LinkedIn on your browser.
- Click on your profile picture in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Select the “View Profile” button on the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the pen icon under the bottom-right corner of the background image.
- Under the “Pronouns” section, click on the drop-down menu.
- Choose your pronouns.
- Under “Visible to,” choose “Your Network,” “Your Connections,” or “All LinkedIn Members.”
- Click on the “Save” button.
Your pronouns will immediately appear next to your name under your profile pictures. If you change your mind, repeat the same steps and instead of pronouns, click on “Please Select” in the field. If you do this, then there will be no pronouns next to your LinkedIn name.
If you go to the “Edit profile” window, and you don’t see the “Pronouns” section, then this feature isn’t available in your region yet. It should be located directly under the “Name Pronunciation” section and above the “Headline” section.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on the iPhone App
Adding your pronouns to your LinkedIn Profile on your iPhone is equally simple. This is how it’s done on the iPhone mobile app:
- Launch LinkedIn on your iPhone.
- Tap on your profile picture in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Proceed to the “View Profile” option on the left sidebar.
- Tap on the pen icon that’s located under the bottom-right corner of the background image.
- Select the drop-down arrow under the “Pronouns” section.
- Choose one of the following options: “she/her,” “he/him,” “they/them,” or “custom.” If you choose “custom,” then you can type in your pronouns.
- Tap on the “Visible to” option under “Pronouns.”
- Choose one of the following: “Your connections,” “Your network,” or “All LinkedIn members.”
- Go to the “Save” button in the upper-right corner of your screen.
That’s all there is to it. Now when you open your profile again, you’ll be able to see your pronouns next to your name on your LinkedIn profile. If they aren’t there, refresh your app a few times and make sure you have a stable internet connection.
If you choose to make your pronouns visible to your connections or your network, when you post something and appear on their main feed, your connections will be able to see your pronouns right next to or under your name.
Just like on the web app, if you don’t see the “Pronouns” feature, then it might not be available in your country yet. However, there is a chance that this feature is available in your region, but you’re not using the newest version of this business application. So, make sure to go to the App Store to check if the app needs to be updated.
How to Add a Pronoun to Your LinkedIn Profile on the Android App
Now let’s find out how you can add your pronouns to your profile on LinkedIn on your Android device. To do so, take a look at these instructions:
- Open the app on your phone.
- Go to your profile picture in the top-left corner of the home page.
- Select the “View Profile” option on the left sidebar.
- Go to the pencil icon on the right side of your profile.
- Proceed to the “Pronouns” section and tap on the drop-down arrow next to it.
- Choose your pronouns.
- Continue to the “Visible to” section and choose who can see your pronouns.
- Tap on the “Save” button in the upper-right corner.
You’ve successfully added your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. Refresh the app by pulling the screen in a downwards motion, and the pronouns should be located next to your name.
Personalize Your LinkedIn Profile With Your Pronouns
There are lots of reasons why you should add your pronouns to your LinkedIn profile. It will let hiring managers, your colleagues, and other LinkedIn users know how to address you properly, and it will prevent any uncomfortable misconceptions. Whether you choose to use this feature on your PC or your mobile app, it will only take you a couple of moments.
Did you ever consider adding your pronouns to your profile on LinkedIn? How did you add your pronouns to this app? Leave a comment below to let us know.