Are you someone who needs to write things down to stay organized? If the answer is yes, then you’ve probably tried more than one of the note-taking apps available today.
While some stand out more than others, one of the most feature-rich options is OneNote by Microsoft. If you prefer creating digital notebooks instead of trying to keep track of pieces of paper, OneNote delivers impressive customization too.
Forget about buying fancy pens and markers; you can color coordinate everything in sections and pages. But if you’re new to OneNote, the first step is to learn how to create a new notebook.
How to Add a New Notebook in OneNote on a Windows PC
If you’re a Windows user, OneNote is a free desktop app available on all operating system versions. OneNote is also available as a standalone app that allows local storage on your hard drive.
However, if you’re using Microsoft 365, OneNote is a part of your subscription-based package. Regardless of which version of the note-taking app you’re using, creating a new notebook is going to require the same steps.
So, here’s how to start a new notebook on your Windows PC:
- Open OneNote on your Windows PC. The last notebook that has been used will be displayed. If it’s your first-time opening OneNote, it will automatically create a notebook in your name.
- Click on the displayed notebook, and a drop-down menu will appear showing other notebooks and sections. At the bottom, click on the “+ Add notebook” button.
- A pop-up window will appear. Enter the new notebook name.
- Click on “Create Notebook.”
If multiple Microsoft accounts are associated with the OneNote app, you will have to select which account to use before choosing the “Create Notebook” option.
It will take a few moments for OneNote to create a new notebook. Once it’s ready, you can proceed to add the content to it.
How to Add a New Notebook in OneNote on a Mac
Microsoft Office apps work really well with macOS, and many users rely on these tools every day. If you’d like to try taking notes with OneNote on your MacBook laptop or PC, you’ll find it’s perfectly compatible. To add a new notebook, here is what you need to do:
- Launch the OneNote app on your Mac computer.
- Click on the notebook that has been displayed in the top left corner. If you didn’t have any notebooks, OneNote will generate one by default and name it by your username.
- Click on the notebook you see. A menu will extend, and at the bottom, you’ll see the “+ Add notebook” button.
- A small new window will appear when you click on the button and prompt you to name your new notebook.
- Select “Create Notebook.”
That’s all there is to it. Your new notebook will show up among the list of other notebooks on the left side panel of the OneNote window.
How to Add a New Notebook in the OneNote Mobile App
Using OneNote on your smartphone or tablet is similar to doing so on your computer, but the layout has some differences. So, follow these steps to add a new notebook in OneNote mobile app:
- Open OneNote on your phone or tablet. Make sure to sign into your Microsoft account.
- On the screen, you’ll see recent pages and the list of existing notebooks.
- If you want to add a new notebook, tap on the “+” button in the top right corner of the screen.
- A new window will pop up. Under the “Create a new notebook” section, enter the name of your notebook.
- Choose where to save your notebook in OneDrive.
- Tap on “Create.”
After a few moments, OneNote will create your notebook. You can repeat this process as many times as you want. Each new notebook will appear in a different color for easier management.
How to Add Sections to Notebooks in OneNote
Creating a new notebook in the OneNote app is only the first stage to becoming a pro at taking digital notes. Every notebook can have as many pages as you want, but you first need to create separate sections.
Perhaps the best way to illustrate how this works is with an example. Let’s say you’re planning a vacation. Your new notebook might be called “Vacation Ideas.” Now, you and your family and friends might have many different ideas about how to spend your vacation.
To organize these ideas, you can create sections and pages. One section can be “Destinations,” and the pages inside could represent specific locations you want to visit. So, let’s see how you can create this plan using OneNote on your computer:
- Open OneNote and add a new notebook called “Vacation Ideas” using the steps described above.
- Click on the notebook, and at the bottom of the window, click on the “+ Add section” option.
- A “New Section 1” line will appear, and next to it, “Untitled page.” Right-click on the “New Section 1” and select “Rename Section” from the drop-down menu. You can put “France” for example.
- Now, right-click on the “Untitled page” option and also choose “Rename Page.” A corresponding example would be “Paris.”
If you want to add more places, you can click on the “+ Add page” option at the bottom of the screen and add more places you’d like to visit in France.
Also, you can create subpages that can represent even more specific locations, such as “Eiffel Tower.” Simply create a new page, right-click and select “Make Subpage.”
Similarly, a new section can represent an entirely different destination. Different notebooks and sections are represented in various colors, and it’s easy to keep track of them.
Using OneNote to Make Perfect Plans
If your daily activities involve many different tasks, it can be very beneficial to write them down to remember them. Even if you like making long-term plans and writing down thoughts and desires, OneNote can be the perfect tool.
You can neatly organize every idea and write down your priorities for the day. There isn’t a right or wrong way to use OneNote, especially if you’re already familiar with other Microsoft apps such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
It has a similar interface to those programs, so it will probably feel more intuitive to use. Adding a new notebook, section, page, and even subpage is an easy process in OneNote and will help you stay productive and organized.
Do you use OneNote for taking notes? Let us know in the comments section below.